South Korean Circuit at Jeonam Officially Unveiled

prisonermonkeys

Be Fearless
Premium
Peru
Hammerhead Garage
A few days ago, I posted a link to South Korea's first Grand Prix team, Hyundai. And now there's a circuit in the country to match it. We've known for some time that South Korea are looking to build a circuit capable of hosing Formula One. And we've also seen rough outlines of it. But now we can get the first concept artwork of the five kilometre circuit:

south-korea-f1-track-in-jeo.jpg

It's another Tilke affair, and it seems to have been designed along the lines of the original Abu Dhabi masterplan: the half along the waterfront is designed after a street circuit, while the back section is intended to be a balls-to-the-wall racing circuit. Abu Dhabi have since abandoned that concept in favour of a straight circuit in an urban setting, which means the Jeonam Circuit could be unique on the calendar, especially if the street and permanent sections are built accordingly. Here's the full story:

2010 South Korean F1 track shown in new pictures on official website

6 April 2009 by Keith Collantine

We’ve had a glimpse before of South Korea’s F1 track, which is due to hold its first Grand Prix next year.

But now the official home page for the 2010 South Korean Grand Prix is live, complete with new pictures of the Jeonnam track.

The circuit was designed by (all together now…) Hermann Tilke, who is not far off having a total monopoly on F1 track design.

The Jeonnam track is 5.4km long and has the usual Tilke mix of over-taking-friendly sharp hairpins plus a couple of quick corners. It’s not clear from the diagram if it has much in the way of gradient.

Here’s how the race organisers describe the circuit:

The most notable characteristic of the Jeonnam Circuit is the fact that it has been designed as two inter-changable tracks; the F1 track (5.6km) and the permanent track (3.04km).

During ordinary occasions, such as domestic automobile races or motorcycle races, the northern part of the circuit (3.045km, in the shape of a hat) will be used. But during international motor-sport events, such as the F1 Grand Prix, an elongated track (heading towards Yeongam Lake) will also be utilized, extending the total length to 5.6km. In the past, several circuits within the country have made short-courses by temporarily blocking certain track areas.

But the Jeonnam Circuit is the first course to actually be designed as a dual-structure from the beginning. The Motegi Twin Ring Circuit of Japan has also attempted to combine an “oval course” with a different “general course”, but the Jeonnam Circuit is the first track in the world to have combined 2 different F1-standard-sized courses.

Another characteristic of the Jeonnam Circuit is its racing direction: counterclockwise. Only 2 of the 17 circuits listed on the 2007 F1 Calender (Turkey and Brazil), have been designed in this manner. The Jeonnam Circuit would be the only counterclockwise track located in Asia. Since most drivers are used to clockwise-direction tracks, the Jeonnam Circuit will serve as a unique, but challenging, experience for the world’s best racers.

The Jeonnam Circuit also has two separate sets of pits and paddocks (a facility used for storing and inspecting race cars) for the general track and the F1 track, respectively. This is an unprecedented feature in the world. By having 2 different pit facilities, the Jeonnam Circuit is able to offer sufficient space for other “support races”, which are also held during the F1 Grand Prix period. In addition, the 2 pits will allow larger parking room for the F1 race cars.

The Jeonnam Circuit has combined all the strong points of other famous tracks, such as Monaco and Indianapolis. The marina section, which is located in the southern part of the F1 track, offers breathtaking views of the nearby ocean. The Jeonnam Circuit will become the first permanent track in the history of F1, to have the ocean in the background. Within the marina section, a radial-shaped town (closely resembling Monte Carlo of the Monaco Grand Prix) will be constructed. This region will be developed into the greatest motor-sports cluster of the East.

See more pictures of the complex on the official site.
And the link.

I reckon it should run clockwise, better overtaking opportunities I think. Guess we shall see next year:tup:

not a bad track but im hoping theres some elevation changes on it to add something more to it. not sure what the terrain is like in korea but i would think it would be somewhat hilly

I have various other tracks for the honor of "World's Most Beautiful Track," but this looks very interesting. Only Korean circuit I know best is Samsung Everland Speedway. This is really going to give some Korean representation as far as world-class racing circuits go. There are some beautiful places in South Korea. This would be a great compliment of mainland Asian tracks along Southeast and Eastern Asia along with Sepang and Shanghai. I'm happy with the configuration of this course. As I said in one of my past threads, (indirect quote) "I would hire Herman Tilke for one reason- building up the track's surroundings. I'd give him all the money he needs to make my track shine and stand out... just don't screw with the configuration." I think this is going to be a lovely course. I'd say this is reason for Korean racing fans to get excited.

By the way, I didn't know that Hyundai is considering joining Formula 1. Hyundai in F1 would make for a nice Japan vs. Korea rivalry with Toyota and ex-Honda (Brawn GP) against the Hyundai team. I'd say these would be high times for Korean racing fans. It will be very interesting to see this track and this Hyundai F1 team come alive.

So this is the F1 circuit in red?

I'm having a hard time seeing how they're going to make a safe pit entrance. if they lock up on the brakes they're going to miss the entrance or crash into traffic making the right turn, or crash into the barricade they would put up and block the pit entrance.

Yes, the circuit is in red. I imagine that to take to the pits, drivers would have to get off the racing line for the penultimate corner by pulling to the right and braking hard. It probably won't be as difficult as, say, the original Singapore layout.

So this is the F1 circuit in red?

I'm having a hard time seeing how they're going to make a safe pit entrance. if they lock up on the brakes they're going to miss the entrance or crash into traffic making the right turn, or crash into the barricade they would put up and block the pit entrance.

The track runs counter-clockwise and my guess is that for F1 the bigger pit would be used (number 2 on the map) which would make the exit a possible problem, not the entrance.

I'm actually a fan of Hermann Tilke's circuit layouts and this one is no exception. I like the idea of a hybrid between a street circuit and a permanent circuit, so I'm looking forward to seeing the circuit completed. Someone needs to fix the official website though, apparently the Jeonnam Circuit will be the second longest circuit in the world, second to Monza...

Also, the pit entrance doesn't look too awkward to me, it appears to be right off-line. I'm more worried about the pit exit where cars will enter the circuit on the racing line nearing the first turn.

I thought Spa-Francorchamps was the longest active F1 circuit... it's still good to see that a Soutk Korean F1 circuit will come along.

Looks like a beautiful track, but we need something in the North American region before we continue building in Asia.

Why? North America is broke and Asia has all the savings.

And Donington ( ;) Hopefully) and Flins-Les Mureaux
Well, I sort of counted them as re-joining the calendar. If you look at the Wikipedia pages on 2010 and 2011, they list possible new events as taking place in Russia (Moscow Raceway), Mexico (Unknown), Bulgaria (Unknown), South Africa (Kyalami), Portugal (Algarve), Argntina (Mar del Plata street circuit), France (Flins-Mureaux), Venezuela (Simon de Bolivar) and America (Streets of Miami). Those last two in particular I edited out because there hasn't been anything on them.

You'll have to forgive the double post, but I have done it! I have found a way for Rome to host a Formula One Grand Prix without stealing Monza's thunder! Ladies and gentlemen, allow me to present the proposed circuit for the Holy See Grand Prix, or One Lap of the Vatican:

I'm sure Benedict and his mates won't mind too much if we bump the race forward to Saturday afternoon. If he wants to appear more trendy and get more followers, this is the perfect way to do it. And if he's nice, we'll even lt him present the trophies.

Or, if he's feeling really gnerous - and let's face it, he's the Pope, so beig the most generous man alive is in the job description - he could even let us use a few of the roads within the Vatican itself:

now that would be a really cool thing to see but seeing as i have no idea what the roads in Rome are like not sure if they would be any good for racing. though then again Monaco isnt really good for racing with it having zero passing areas due to how thin it is.

LOL. Dude, DYR, those vatican roads are a joke. The road is as wide as I am tall.

LOL. Dude, DYR, those vatican roads are a joke. The road is as wide as I am tall.
Do you think I intended it to be serious? There's no way the Vatican would agree to being shut off - well, more shut off thn it already is - from the rest of the world just so that a Grand Prix could be run around it!

:lol: I'd like to see the Pope's reaction to 20 insanely loud cars tearing around his backyard...

"Stop the racket! Can't you see I'm trying to bless someone here?"

Omnis - thanks for highlighting the circuit... i couldn't really see it?

Has anyone seen plans for the India circuit? That should be interesting... and is it just me, or does Tilke have a monopoly on F1 circuits?

No. Nothing has been said.

I though that you were supposed to use the old [sarcasm] [/sarcasm] format code on a comment like that. I mean, [sarcasm] someone could think that nothing had been said like you stated.[/sarcasm]

:sly:Kidding:sly:

...America (Streets of Miami). Those last two in particular I edited out because there hasn't been anything on them.

I haven't heard one lick of information of the Streets of Miami hosting another GP of any sort. Nobody went to the CART/IndyCar races there in 2002-2003, and even though F1 street circuits are all the rage, the old Bicentenial Park is too narrow.

I'd still go, though.

We need to fix Road America and use that track, or Laguna Seca. I'd love to see the cars going over the rise and then having to slow down for the chicane. Better yet, alternate and use both. :D

Laguna Seca will NEVER appear in Formula One. The Corkscrew is simply too steep; it contravenes FIA regulations on cicuit design.

Back