Stuck on POST Screen

ShaggyT

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013
So I just put together an old computer with the following specs;

Pentium II/233
A Dell Dimension XPS D333 Mobo based off the al440lx chipset
ATI Rage 128 Pro 32MB
3x128MB PC66 ECC 168pin IBM RAM (The sticker says 184pin for some reason)

Without plugging in a HDD and DVD ROM here's a screen I get;
f8a52795408eee4eaed90bee21fe930a.jpg

I was getting beep codes, but after reinstalling everything I no longer get them. Is it true this Mobo only supports a Pentium II/333? I'm not entirely sure how to clear the BIOS and have had no luck in tracking down a manual for the relevant Dell computer or the mobo. I've came across sites asking me to put in my email, but I'm a bit sketchy on how legitimate they are. Thank you for reading and any help offered.

Solution
This will cost you a lot of beer, so old PC.

You are right, no manuals are available (I actually helped user with exactly the same PC a month ago), so lets try BIOS reset, there are a few ways doing it, one is require manual, so 2 left, one is harsh, so:

Turn off your PC, disconnect all cables from PC, open side panel and place both hands on metal part of your case to ground yourself, next press and hold power button for 30 seconds, next look for a shiny round object, this is CMOS (BIOS) battery (picture below), take a good look at it, position I mean, remove it with non metal something, toothpick will do, actually it has a clamp, but might not working, after battery removed press and hold power button again for 30 seconds, hold for...
This will cost you a lot of beer, so old PC.

You are right, no manuals are available (I actually helped user with exactly the same PC a month ago), so lets try BIOS reset, there are a few ways doing it, one is require manual, so 2 left, one is harsh, so:

Turn off your PC, disconnect all cables from PC, open side panel and place both hands on metal part of your case to ground yourself, next press and hold power button for 30 seconds, next look for a shiny round object, this is CMOS (BIOS) battery (picture below), take a good look at it, position I mean, remove it with non metal something, toothpick will do, actually it has a clamp, but might not working, after battery removed press and hold power button again for 30 seconds, hold for 30 minutes at least, after 30 minutes place battery back into the right polarity, close the case, attach power and all cables and start. If successful, go to BIOS by pressing F2 or DEL and find there CMOS reset or BIOS reset, do it, save and exit.
Any success?

Motherboard

$(KGrHqV,!mEFHd!KbPl,BR+!R(jURg~~60_57.JPG

Battery

4047395.gif

Solution

ShaggyT

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013
Thank you for the response. I need to wait till the end of this week due to sending back a normal OEM PSU (Ebayer sent me the wrong unit) I tried in this system and ordered a proper PSU with the right cables that lead into the ATX and AUX port.

Are PSU's with ATX-xxxGU in the name or model number associated with these old Dimension XPS Dxxx Dell boards? I've seen many different companies put GU after the number representing the max number of Watts supplied so I was just curious.

I'm not sure, but even with an adapter I think some 5v and 3.3v cables are leading into the wrong areas of the ATX connector. If the proper SMT's are in place, I would just remove that AUX port and move the ATX connector to the right so that it looks like a normal 440LX board hopefully with the proper wires going into the correct pin then I wouldn't have to worry about using a special PSU. All these Dell boards are are slightly modified OEM Intel boards right?

This is your PSU

dell-dimension-xps-d333-pentium-ii-333-mhz-tower-computer-fbc.jpg

If this can help.

Good idea to see parts, look for dell sticker, there should be Service Tag (short, first is letter, then a few numbers) number or Service Code (long, numbers only) number, do not post here, against the rules, PM me.

More to come, in order to use modern power supplies you need this

6 Pin Dell P10 AUX Connector Adapter for Dell Dimension 2100, 4100, B1000R, V350, V400, XPS B Series, XPS Dxxx, XPS Mxxx, XPS Rxxx, XPS Txxx, XPS P133c MT, XPS Pro 180n, LxxxR, LxxxCXE, LxxxCX, LxxxC, Optiplex G1, GX1, GX110, GX115, GX300, GN, GN+, GXa, GXi, PowerEdge 2100, 2200, Precision WorkStation 210, 220, 400 http://www.amazon.com/Connector-Dimension-PowerEdge-Precision-WorkStation/dp/B001IP1E92