[SOLVED] Bios splash image changed into post screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

david3026

Honorable
Oct 24, 2016
Hi. About a month that I notice when I restart the computer instead of usual splash image (the one before entering the bios) like this:

iu

computer starts with post screen (I mean there are writings instead of the image) like this:

iu

If I switch PC completely out of the electricity and after some hours turn it on, then it starts with normal splash screen like it always was doing, but if I restart PC or don't turn off the electricity then I get post screen which is shown on image 2.
I tried to replace Cmos battery but it didn't help. Can please anyone tell me why this could occur?

Solution
On desktop mobos, you probably always get to choose if you want to see the diagnostics or the Manufacturers logo. Diagnostics are good, if you wanna know at a glance what your clocks are, did all RAM get detected, did all storage devices? The logo blocks all that. Which is why I don't display logo.
On laptops, the BIOS is often very stripped down, very few options and of course the Manufacturer loves to show their logo any chance they get.

It doesn't matter if you get the diagnostics or logo, as long as it boots without you having to enter BIOS. If the boot stops and you have to press F1/F2/Del. Then there is an issue.
Did you follow the advise above from other poster? Replace CMOS battery. They don't last forever. If the battery is...

Lutfij

Titan
Can you please include the SKU for your Acer prebuilt? Is this a predator? You might want to see if you have BIOS updates pending for your motherboard. Speaking of motherboard, you will also need to parse screenshots of your BIOS settings. Often times you can see that there's an option to show diagnostics(I can't recall the term since I last saw it about a decade ago). I'm also wondering if your tab key on your keyboard is being depressed after the first boot to trigger a diagnostics window as opposed to a BIOS splash screen.

On second thoughts, how old is the PSU in your build? You might want to see if replacing the CMOS battery with a fresh cell changes your experience, since your BISO settings is being reset(from the latter image).

david3026

Honorable
Oct 24, 2016
Can you please include the SKU for your Acer prebuilt? Is this a predator? You might want to see if you have BIOS updates pending for your motherboard. Speaking of motherboard, you will also need to parse screenshots of your BIOS settings. Often times you can see that there's an option to show diagnostics(I can't recall the term since I last saw it about a decade ago). I'm also wondering if your tab key on your keyboard is being depressed after the first boot to trigger a diagnostics window as opposed to a BIOS splash screen.

On second thoughts, how old is the PSU in your build? You might want to see if replacing the CMOS battery with a fresh cell changes your experience, since your BISO settings is being reset(from the latter image).
My motherboard is not Acer (I just put those pics from internet), it's As-Rock old model, don't know its SKU. I never updated bios because I fear it can kill it if something goes wrong (manufacturer also does not recommend doing it). My motherboard settings looks like this and there is not Diagnostics in it:

iu

Pressing tab brings just memory diagnostics screen. I made with memtest86 1 pass without any errors.
PSU is also old but still works as I didn't notice anything wrong with my computer and temperatures are also normal. About CMOS battery I already wrote in previous post.
Basically everything works fine and PC is still at the same speed as it was before. Only this Bios starting screen changes and only after restarting PC.

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
Have you checked under the tab Boot? On my Asus mobo it is under Boot Config->Boot Logo Display. If it's disabled, you get the stats instead of the picture.

Does it complain about CMOS or was that just a picture you found on the net? Not clear to me. Maybe you have to set the clock or something. If it thinks it's the wrong century or something, I don't know.

david3026

Honorable
Oct 24, 2016
Have you checked under the tab Boot? On my Asus mobo it is under Boot Config->Boot Logo Display. If it's disabled, you get the stats instead of the picture.

Does it complain about CMOS or was that just a picture you found on the net? Not clear to me. Maybe you have to set the clock or something. If it thinks it's the wrong century or something, I don't know.
There is no Boot logo Display on my mobo, not in Boot config, not in other settings, I checked all. Of course I also restored Bios defaults several times, nothing. The settings I'm changing in the Bios are to enable Memory Remap (otherwise it somehow does not use all the memory of the computer) and setting CD/DVD as first boot device. Restoring them to defaults does not solve the problem either.
I'm sorry I can't screenshot my motherboard, it's AS rock G31m-s. It's settings are similar on the image I pasted above, only before Advanced tab, mine has Smart tab also and there is not much and important settings in it.
If motherboard's any chipset got faulty, why it would have affected only start screen image displaying I don't understand. I'm not sure if Bios viruses exist, this is what I'm thinking about.
I before saw my friends old motherboard also displaying writings instead of the image. There are also many images in the internet of this. Don't know what to think at all.

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
On desktop mobos, you probably always get to choose if you want to see the diagnostics or the Manufacturers logo. Diagnostics are good, if you wanna know at a glance what your clocks are, did all RAM get detected, did all storage devices? The logo blocks all that. Which is why I don't display logo.
On laptops, the BIOS is often very stripped down, very few options and of course the Manufacturer loves to show their logo any chance they get.

It doesn't matter if you get the diagnostics or logo, as long as it boots without you having to enter BIOS. If the boot stops and you have to press F1/F2/Del. Then there is an issue.
Did you follow the advise above from other poster? Replace CMOS battery. They don't last forever. If the battery is drained, that could certainly be the issue.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.